Saturday 13 October 2012

There is no such word as can't.

So I haven't been blogging much over the summer but the new term is here and I’m going to try and blog at least once a week. At the later part of the year and over the summer I have really narrowed down a style now and I’m quite keen to apply it to my work and the new modules. I produce several pieces for the HE sample wall in the last couple of week of term last year and they have really got me thinking. So for quite a large part of the summer in my own time I looked at how I am and what makes me tick.









I have been looking at some of HR Giger's work for the film pieces to his more sculptural work. I really enjoy both the dark sexual imagery but also their modern and influential design. As part of this I have been looking at the films that he has made concept art for and drawing ideas from these films like Alien and the newly realised Prometheus.







I have also been exploring Art deco design and using images from the period along with the ideas of Giger to produce some shapes and forms that I then apply to idea. I really enjoy The stuff that came out of the early 1900's. I think something change in the ideas of design and what design is. Aesthetics idea’s where still important but so was progression. The idea of make materials work at their limits forcing ideas to work opposed to saying the only way is this way. The stat of the century was more we can rather than we cannot.







I also decided that I was going to try and narrow down what it was I intend to do. Who I am and what I’m trying to do. So what did I realise and what am I doing?

I’m not a blacksmith I am an engineer. As an engineer I use processes and materials to overcome a problem. Some times multiple processes are required and combinations of materials. This is no different from the plant we all share. We are not singular forms we all depend on each other and everything around use. We all share a unique link to everything on this planet from the Moon in the sky to the trees on the ground.

We are nothing without everything.







4 comments:

  1. Giger is what I would call a messed up genius, I adore his work, it's so mechanical, metallic & I feel it portrays such sexual violence, I need to read up on his background & find out where his inspiration originated. I can see similarities in the lines & shapes Giger uses to those used in some Art Deco pieces , both are very linear . Also think it's really awesome that over the summer you've been discovering more about yourself & your practice & how that's effecting your thinking & the way you look at your work. Can't wait to see how you use all your discoveries in the coming months :)
    xXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that Gigers images are based on the night terrors that he suffers from. He also has a deep intrest in bones and the structures and forms that they can create. There are some sick books in the college libaray.

    Its quite intresting how sleep can affected the creative parts of the brain. I also suffer from a sleep disorder, I have a REM behaviour disorder where i can't tell the differance between being awake or asleep it sucks. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didnt know he had night terrors , though where else would such dark images come from. That is definitely apparent, you can see the skeletal form throughout his work. I love how his work pushes so many boundries with regards to the imagery , shocked my mum thats for sure :)

    oh my gosh, how do you deal with that ? do you think it effects your creativity ? I feel sometimes that when i'm asleep is when my brain is most alive (probably why i have quite a few sleepless nights), its the time i get my best ideas, when i can think most clearly about everything (although it tends to be everything at once which results in a headache & bags under my eyes) & when my thoughts are the most truthful (if that makes sense).
    xXx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh btw i found out from the guy who does my tattoos that theres a DVD out about Giger :) its called H.R. Giger Revealed.

    I better get down the library :) need to find out more about his life :)
    xXx

    ReplyDelete