Monday 7 May 2012

New Cogs for an Old Machine

A much Wiser and old gentleman said this to me quite recently and it got the old cogs turning. “Well you have to remember you’re just a new set of cogs for an old machine!” I would love to think he was wrong but I’m starting to think he might be on to something. As part of the course we are expected to have an understanding of what we are doing and why we are doing it, but this isn’t easy. What I have learnt is that I’m not the sum of my own ideas and that there is a side that I have never seen.




There are parts of me that are well understood and studied through self motivated learning but as I grow older I find parts of my life that have sub-consciously developed and played a very important role in my life. My ideas of the world I live in and the role I play in the community and environment. Where do I stand, what is my task and most importantly who am I? Do I serve a function as a cog in a much greater machine, am I mealy the years of a developed operation. If I am made to feel as if I have been given a choice will that satisfy my hunger to exist? Maybe not but something I have developed is an innate sense of duty and I have a load to carry and I should carry it. I don’t carry it for the ultimate goal of the machine but for the other load barriers, my fellow cogs.


It is the one thing that I wasn’t expecting to find here in Hereford. I am learning about me and my role now more than ever. And yes the result of my actions have lead me here, but it is the close intermit study of myself that has truly lead to my most recent realisation. We are all part of the machine and we all have a role but it is how we chose to succeed that gives us weight and meaning. It’s the choices that we make that determine who we are and what we will become. It is the battles we choose to fight or the people we surround ourselves with these may ultimately be the only choices that one has but if they are made knowingly then you are at risk of becoming a cog in a machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment