Sunday 10 March 2013

What would Brunel do?


The other day my Learning support equipment turned up and It couldn’t have arrived sooner. I have been dyeing to get my hands on a laptop, not just for the massive aid it will give me in my written work but how I will now be able to get hold of Autodesk CAD. In the last year or so I have been playing round with the idea behind forging and modern technologies and how they work together. I made so real progress in my last semester and I hope to carry on, but in recent months I have been show all sorts of new and amazing techs that are available to me. So I’m brought on to this next question “Would Isambard Kingdom Brunel use modern tech to make his creations??? This is as simple as welding gear, angle grinders and electricity?” And I was just in a lecture with Michael Eden talking about using 3D printing and the options that that can provide.

So As a directed result I have found myself asking people to create my ideas in a programme that allows a machine make them. As a directed result I was moving away from the making of my piece. So now I have Autodesk and I’m one step closer again which is great but this itself has a side effect. I’m now adding more layers of design to an already complex and long winded process. I feel that the hand drawing still is important as it allows me a level of freedom but with the study of CAD I can send information to machines all over the world and as a directed result I have l ready thought about using 3D printing and talked to a engineering company that uses CNC lathes so that I can use CAD to its full.

CAD is full of potential and with proper study that leads to well thought out ideas I should be able to make some amazing stuff. This also apply to the forging, 3D printing and other CNC process with balance I should be able to create beautiful and interesting things. If you’re a student or a teacher Autodesk is available for free from http://students.autodesk.com/ You Just need to register and they will send you a copy and they also have many other types of software that might help you change the way you see design also. O CAD is well worth a look and is going to open lots of doors for me from basic design work at college and I hope in the future with customers and other skilled people.

So from the modern to the crazy hears me and some of my class mate forging a big ring old school style. Tell me what you think about any of the items in this blog post and the silly video. Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment